Jan 23, 2012

Famous Blog Spot: Jolanda

A blog from Jolanda, enjoy.
My life around cooking and baking



Ever since I was a young girl I was interested in cooking and baking. From early age on I prepared nice luxury snacks for my parents and their friends. Once a week they came together to play a game of cards. Later on, my mum and I prepared cold buffets with all sorts of salads, cold meat, fishdishes and many more dishes. We would stand in the kitchen for hours and hours, but had so much fun doing it!



When I got older and had small children, a friend of me asked me to join her on a workshop cakedecorating. I did join her just for a fun night, but I loved it so much that I decided to go to a cakedecorating school. After completing every possible technique I grounded my own small business in cakedecorating. I made many cakes the years after. And for my own children a made some lovely cakes on their birthdays!



After working as a cakedecorator for about 8 years, I got bored a bit. The whole thing became a bit of a routine, and too many people asked me to make a cake with a decoration of dolfins. I put all my stuff in the attic and forgot about it.



Last summer I got a call from a couple who were planning to get married. Would I make their weddingcake? After some thinking I decided to say yes! The result was a very beautiful cake, in the colour cream, with darkblue roses on it. It surprised mijzelf how easy it was to make those roses again. In the Netherlands we have a saying for that: “You’ll never forget how to ride a bike”, well in this case I had not forgotten how to decorate a cake.



All my cakedecorator stuff is down from the attic again, and I gues you can say I’m a cakedecorator again!



Recipe of scones:

I would like to end my first blog with a very good recipe for scones, very easy to make and very tasty! Serve them with the real clotted cream, or if you can’t get clotted cream, some creme fraiche and a good strawberryjam.



Ingredients:

225 gram self-raising flour, sifted

Pinch of salt

50 gram butter, softened

50 gram caster sugar

1 mediumm egg, beaten

75 ml. milk

Some beaten egg of milk to glaze the scones



Heat the oven to 230 degrees C. Grease a baking tray and dredge with flour, or put a sheat of greaseproofpaper on it.

Mix together the flour and salt, and rub or cut in the butter as lightly as possible until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar. Add the egg and bind the mixture together with a fork. Gradually add the milk to form a fairly stiff dough.
Turn the dough on to a floured board and gently roll out to a thickness of about 2 ½

No comments:

Post a Comment